FlickMaven

One blogger's take on movies, television shows, books, and music -- the good, the bad, and the bottom line

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Well, I'm back from my tenth Grand Cayman trip since 1999. Can you tell I kind of like the place? For all you cruise ship types looking for an island to land on next time, give a hard look at Grand Cayman. The people are nice, the food is good, it's relaxing, and the diving is as good as it gets, if that's your thing. It sure is mine; I managed 11 dives in 4 days, and would have had more, had it not been for the dreadful Delta Airlines experience we had trying to get there in the first place.

The night before I left on the trip I [idiotically] stayed up till 3:00 a.m. watching Into the Blue,a treasure hunt caper that deals with scuba diving to a large extent. Here's my take:

The Good: Jessica Alba, engaging photography, moderately interesting treasure hunt story, Jessica Alba, a couple of twists that even jaded I didn't figure out, and Jessica Alba.

The Bad: It WAS a bit of a pot boiler, and for anyone who has given any thought to treasure hunting, the setup was somewhat less than credible. From a back story point of view, I learned about a year ago that the producers had looked at filming this picture in Grand Cayman instead of the Bahamas, and Alba even came to Cayman for a tutorial in free diving [diving without scuba] from my friend Sebastian and the good folks at DiveTech. Unfortunately, the government apparently couldn't get out of its own way to make the deal, so off the production went to the Bahamas.

The Bottom Line: Three Flicks. It ain't the greatest movie I ever saw, but the dive photography was well done, and there is Jessica Alba, after all....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home